Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Card Blues: Gift Set and Snowbunnybella

I've grown very dependent on technology over the years. I never had a land-line (just a cell) and I think I go through withdraws if I spend a day without checking email. Well, I had quite a shock this weekend. First, I got locked out of my AIM account because my password was reset and a reminder was sent to an email account from 15 years ago that no longer exists. Ironically, to get any help from AOL you need to log into the account to post a question. Then my cell gave out and I lost all my contacts. I felt so detached from the world... The one good thing that came out of all of this is that I got a new phone - Google's own G1. I'm still a little angry having lost a lot of numbers I'm not sure I'll get back, but the new "toy" is softening the blow. This is the first phone I own with a data plan and now I can get email and browse the web right on my cell! Talk about feeding my technology addiction.

I do take occasional breaks from my PC and since my last post I made a few things I wanted to share. The first is the SnowBunnyBella card for SCS FS98 Challenge last weekend.
card, Bella, winter, snow, snowbunnybella, flocking, fun flock, handmadeThe card that inspired me was Christmas Cats by Paula Tracy and I recreated the same sparkling background look with Stickles, but the layout just didn't seem to come together. This is one of those cards when the time it takes to make the card greatly exceeds the outcome. I did, however, have fun with this Bella image, which I got form my DSS sister last year. The “fur” on the coat is flocked. I used flocking for the first time this summer and love it for animal and Bella images. I also want to try it on some alphabet stamps and chipboard. That may be a good tutorial for me to do in the upcoming week - I'll show some flocking basics and then experiment with different materials. Stay tuned.

Supplies (All supplies are Stampin'Up! unless otherwise noted) :

  • Stamps: Snowbunnybella by Stamping Bella, Warm Wards
  • Paper: Bashful blue, chocolate chip, bashful blue DP
  • Ink: Chocolate chip, bashful blue, Versamark
  • Accessories: Stickles, embossing powder, Holiday House plastic winter snowflakes by American Crafts, brads, white flocking
  • Tools: punch, Priceless embossing template, paper piercer

The second thing I wanted to share with you was a card gift set I made for my mom. (Mom, if you're reading then I guess you know what you'll be getting in the mail next week. If you want it to be a surprise don't read any further). I saw blue gift boxes on sale at Borders and couldn't pass them up. When I got home and realized the color matched to the “t” to the Baja Breeze paper, I was thrilled and just had to make this set.

As beautiful as elaborate cards can be, most of the time I still love clean and simple designs the most. They're also easier to make for gift sets. For this set I have two designs, 5 of each card. Both use a white base and one color. I used Cuttlebug swiss dot folder to add depth to the paper. The white card is decorated with paper bow (you can use ribbon too), Prima flower and rhinestone. The blue card is stamped and embossed with thick embossing powder. You can also use Crystal Effects, but in this case I wanted some more randomness and droplet effect so i used the powder and let some of it fly off the image when embossing.

Baja breeze, card, stampin'up!, stamping, oh so lovely, gift set, gift box, embossing, handmade, card

For the top of the box I just cut out same size circles for the top and bottom of the "tag", embossed one side in white EP and carefully glued them back to back with the ribbon in between. Let me know if you're interested in a complete tutorial and I can post one next time.

Baja breeze, stampin'up!, stamping, oh so lovely, gift set, gift box, embossing, handmade

Supplies (All supplies are Stampin'Up! unless otherwise noted) :

  • Stamps: Oh So Lovely
  • Paper: Baja breeze, whisper white, Startburst Translucent DP by Paper Company
  • Ink: Baja breeze, Versmark
  • Accessories: Prima flowers, rhinestones, thick clear embossing powder, white embossing power, ribbon
  • Tools: Cuttlebug, Nestabilities

~Olgy

4 comments:

  1. You're so creative! I keep wishing that I was coming back to Austin, especially since reading your blog makes me want to get into making cards.

    How is the G1? I want an iPhone (for my tech addiction!) but my family is on T-Mobile's plan and the G1 seems like the only decent smartphone with T-Mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your snowbunny is just gorgeous!! I'm totally loving your work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, thanks you're very sweet.

    Amy, you should try it on your own or just come visit Austin more often :) As far as the phone, I have to say so far I'm very happy with it. I was thinking about iPhone too because G1 is a little thicker but when I tried it a the store the pull-out keyboard made a huge difference - makes it a lot easier to text and browse. It's got pretty much all the same apps out there as iPhone, plus a lot of the google features are built in. Microsoft exchange compatibility with work wasn't available right away, but there's an app out there that will work. Plus, they will have flash working on G1 very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cards are so pretty Olga. I love your new blog sweetie. Hugs. =0)

    ReplyDelete