Thursday, January 3, 2013

Martha Stewart Microbeads

I've had a few jars of Martha Stewart microbeads for a couple of years now. They looked so cute in the bottle I just couldn't resist buying them. However, a few times I've tried them on projects in the past, I've had trouble with them staying put after some time and didn't look like they could make it intact in the mail. 

This time I was determined to find ways to adhere the microbeads and ensure they stay put. Here are a few fun results.

Handmade shaker card with microbead filling; Basic Grey Snowfall Ice Blue paper and kraft background
1. Shaker card filling. Since I originally had trouble with the adhesives I tried, the first thing that came to mind was something that didn't require adhesive at all. I wanted to make a shaker card with these for a while and it was perfect for a FS308 SCS challenge card.
Handmade shaker card with microbead filling; Basic Grey Snowfall Ice Blue paper and kraft background
You have tto flip the card on the side to uncover the 3rd pinguin. Its a fun little Christmas card. I think microbeads worked really well here, but the only plastic packaging I had was pretty thick so I'm not sure if I can send this card in a regular envelope.

Pink handmade stamped card with Me & My Big Ideas paper, liquid pearls, stickles and microbeads
2. Securing microbeads with Crystal Effects or Glossy Accents. This seemed to be the most popular method when I searched online. Definitely works better than regular glue, but I still found that some beads continued to fall off when the project was dry. Gently pressing the beads into the glue helped.

3. I didn't make a project for the 3rd example yet, but this is a Glue Dot covered in microbeads. I'd expect similar results with sticky tapes. They actually seem to stay on pretty well. 

Shaker Card Supplies:
  • Stamps: Pile of Pinguins by Whipper Snapper
  • Paper: Kraft, Snowfall Ice Blue by Basic Grey
  • Ink: White embossing powder
  • Accessories: Martha Stewart blue topaz microbeads, rhinestones, clear plastic from packaging
  • Tools: EK Success snowflake punch
Bella Card Supplies:
  • Stamps: Stamping Bella Pheobe Ketto
  • Paper: Very vanilla, Me & My Big Ideas DP, SU Bali Breeze DP, shimmery pink cardstock from stationary store
  • Ink: Memento tuxedo black, SU Sahara Sand (for sponging)
  • Accessories: Stickles, liquid pearls, Glossy Accents, metal tag (sorry forgot the brand), lace
  • Tools: Nestabilities
~Olgy

No comments:

Post a Comment